Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Letter from Samuel

As I mentioned previously, we interacted with many artisans and shop-owners in Maua during the week we stayed at the Maua Basin Hotel. One such person was named Samuel, a very talented artist who specializes in African art made out of banana fibre. On our last night at the hotel, as I was walking out to go back to my room, Samuel stopped me and told me he had written me a letter, he handed it to me and I went back to my room to read it. It was one of the most meaningful letters I've ever received, and I think does the best job of helping me explain to others how kind, generous, loving, and grateful the people we came across in Kenya were. So, here it is:

"Dear Katie,
Let me take this opportunity to thank you and this wonderful team for coming all the way from that great nation (US) to assist our community. I believe your people love Maua community and that is the reason some of you keep on coming back. We also love you. We also know that you sacrifice a lot in terms of money and time. May God bless you and your families back home.
Katie your people are kind, generous, and above all God fearing and loving.
Thank you once again for admiring and buying my banana fibre pictures. In fact, your wonderful team freely interacted with us and bought various items from all the shops. We are happy because we will use the money to help pay school fees for our children. I have two girls in high school.
Thank you for all donations you give to assist our community. I'm sure God will bless you immensely. Katie we shall miss you and your teamates. However, we shall pray for your safe safari back home. Please visit us again and again. You are always welcome.
I hope you have arranged to take our brothers and sisters to visit one of our many game parks. There you will see wild animals in their natural habitat. I am sure you will have nice stories to tell your families and friends back home. Not only will you see animals, you will see various kinds of birds and maybe meet people from other communities. Otherwise we would have loved to stay with you and your team a little longer. Thank you once again and may God bless you all. We wish you all the best. Asante sana (Thank you), Kwaheri (Goodbye), Mungu Akubariki (God bless you).
Samuel
Artist"

No comments:

Post a Comment